(It used to be difficult to install Office, but not anymore. The problems appear with certain versions of Wine, but 1.5 is just fine with Office 2007. The idea is to keep oneself updated to the WineHQ instructions).
It is better to do this after a fresh installation of Wine 1.5 if already such scripts are installed. If not, be sure to have wine 1.5.
- Install Wine 1.5
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.5
- Go to Menu/Wine/Configure Wine and make sure your version of wine is set to Windows XP.
- Install Office 2007.
(Open the disk and right click on setup.exe and select "Open with wine windows program loader.")
The progress bar in the installer window may stop when it reaches about 2/3 of the way. The installation is continuing, even though the progress bar is not moving. Wait for it to finish.
- In the Menu/Wine/Configure Wine, under Libraries tab in the area labeled "New override for library" type in riched20.dll and click on Add.
You will see it appear in the list below. Now select the riched20 in the list that we just added and click on the Edit button.
Set it to Native (Windows) and click OK.
This will allow Powerpoint and the other applications to run correctly.
- Better install all fonts and improve appearance like here.
- To install Office classic menus (which has nothing to do with Linux): not all such patches would work in Wine, but this does.
- The 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in Save as PDF or XPS works as expected.
See above WineHQ links for further issues.