I have created a special blog on elementary OS, which contains mostly stuff related to my experience with Luna
The new 0.3 Freya seems a great improvement to me, namely the live USB/CD session which now seems more responsive, while even Luna stable was very slow compared to other distros' live session.
First things to do after installing:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
- How to add a option like"open terminal here" into the right click menu (Not necessary in Freya):
sudo apt-get install gedit
sudo gedit /usr/share/contractor/terminal.contract
paste there and save:
Name=Open Terminal here
Description=Open Terminal here
Exec=pantheon-terminal -d %U
- In order to create 'Open folder as root' context menu command - and in order to create any new such command - a new
*.contractfile has to be created in
[Contractor Entry] Name=Open folder as root Icon=gksu-root-terminal Description=Open folder as root MimeType=inode;application/x-sh;application/x-executable; Exec=gksudo pantheon-files -d %U Gettext-Domain=pantheon-files
- To add shortcuts with commands to run a script: the format is `sh path/to/the/script`
- to make the upper panel (Slingshot) transparent: the file to be altered is apps.css in usr/share/themes/nameoftheme/gtk-3.0 the line to alter is: `background-color: alpha (#000, 0.1);` This line is around in:
* Panel *
background-color: alpha (#000, 0.1);
In `background-color: alpha (#000, 0.1);` the first value is the color (http://www.colorpicker.com/) and the second is the transparency: 0.0=full transparency, 1=opaque logout to see changes
- Install Nautilus to have enhanced context menu features.
- To add Mediainfo to Nautilus actions:
sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal
Create a new
gnome-terminalprofile called new1 and edit it to stay open after finishing action.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mediainfo
In Nautilus actions, under Command tab, use gnome-terminal for Command, and for parameters use:
In a similar way use Thunar custom actions commands.
--window-with-profile=new1 -e "mediainfo %f"